kulm История

Городок Санкт-Мориц, основанный в 1864 году, считается законодателем моды на горнолыжный отдых. Именно здесь в 1879 году впервые в Швейцарии зажглась электрическая лампочка, в 1928 в парке Kulm были организованы

первые зимние Олимпийские игры, бар Sunny стал одним из первых спортивных баров в Альпах, благодаря тому, что в сезоне 1884/85 его облюбовали скелетонисты.

1855 Pension Faller
First hotel in St. Moritz

In the year 1855 Johannes Badrutt and his wife rented Pension Faller - today's Kulm Hotel St. Moritz - with 12 rooms at CHF 200 per year. Later, in the year 1858 they bought the Pension for CHF 28,500. It is the first hotel in St. Moritz and the later birthplace of winter tourism. One year later, the hotel was extended by two floors. Battlements and towers gave the house a palace-like appearance. The hotel will be continuously expanded over the next few years. 

1864 Bet
The legendary bet

According to legend, Badrutt invited his regular British summer guests to experience the winter in St. Moritz. He suggested that should they do not like it, he would reimburse them their travel costs. The guests came for Christmas and stayed until Easter. On departure, everyone was tanned, healthy, and happy. Today's winter tourism was born.

1879 First electric light in Switzerland
Electric light in the Grand Restaurant

The first electric light illuminated the Dining Room of the Kulm Hotel. In 1878, Badrutt and his son visited the world exhibition in Paris, where the first arc lamps were presented. Immediately after his return, he built a hydroelectric power plant to light the house for Christmas 1879.

1883 Curling Club
St. Moritz Curling Club

The St. Moritz Curling Club was founded on the premises of the Kulm Hotel.

1884/85 Cresta Run & Sunny Bar
Sunny Bar – The oldest sports bar in the Alps

Construction of the legendary Cresta Run on the premises of the Kulm Hotel – a natural ice channel for skeleton. The oldest sports bar in the Alps, the Sunny Bar, opened its doors and is still home to the Cresta riders today.

1886/87 West Wing & Hotel Lobby
Introduction Hotel Lobby

The west wing was built in collaboration with architect Nicolas Hartmann, and the concept of a hotel lobby was introduced, which cannot be omitted in any hotel. Toilets, hydraulic elevators, as well as heating and electric ventilation, were also installed.

1887 St. Moritz Tobogganing Club
Establishment of the St. Moritz Tobogganing Club

The St. Moritz Tobogganing Club, which was associated with the Cresta Run, was founded.

1889 First public telephone network
The hot wire

Johannes Badrutt's last pioneering act: The first public telephone network with 24 local connections in Switzerland was installed in the Kulm Hotel. After the death of the hotel pioneer, his son Peter Robert Badrutt founded Badrutt & Cie, which was renamed to AG Grand Hotels Engadiner Kulm in 1905.

1896 - 1904 Bob Run & Kulm Golf
The highest golf course in the Alps

In the year 1896, the hotel’s 9-hole Kulm Executive Golf Course was built - the highest golf course in the Alps.  In the winter of 1903/04 the construction of the Olympic Bob Run begins, opening its doors in January 1904. The Olympic Bob Run is a natural ice channel and venue of World Cups and Olympic Games until today. 

1912 Neukulm
Opening of the East Wing

The east wing, known as Neukulm, was opened.

1928 Winter Olympics
Olympic Games in the Kulm Park

The first Olympic Winter Games in St. Moritz. The opening ceremonies, as well as figure skating and ice hockey competitions, took place in the Kulm Park.

1935 - 1956 Reopening of Neukulm
Reopening of Neukulm

Anton Robert Badrutt took over the management of the Kulm Hotel and re-opened the Neukulm during the Second World War.

1948 Winter Olympics
Olympic Games in the Kulm Park

The second Olympic Winter Games in St. Moritz. The opening ceremonies and various sports events took place in the Kulm Park.

1956 Change of ownership
New hotel management

Albert Ernst-von-Pfyffer purchased the Kulm Hotel, and Fred Herrling took over the management of the hotel until 1972. In 1968, another change of ownership took place: Stavros Niarchos bought the Kulm Hotel when Club Mediterannée signalled purchase interest.

1972 - 2002 Heinz Hunkeler took over
Expansion of the Kulm Hotel

Heinz Hunkeler took over the management of the Kulm Hotel. He initiated the construction the Chesa Al Parc in 1986 with the sports field, consisting of 3 tennis courts and the ice rink in winter, as well as Residence I in 1988, consisting of 14 luxury apartments, conference rooms, and the parking garage.

1993 Renovation entrance lobby
The entrance receives a face lift

Renovation of the hotel entrance and lobby. Decoration in "Trompe l'oleil" style by Renzo Mongiardino. At the same time a new ski room and sport boutique are build.

1997 Expansion of the Kulm Spa
New sparkle for the Kulm Spa

Expansion of the Kulm Spa to 1'400 m2 with saunas, steam bath, brine grotto, whirlpool, fitness room, and treatment rooms, including renovation of the swimming pool.

2000 Redesign of Kulm Golf
New lustre for Kulm Golf

Redesign for the hotel's Kulm Executive Golf Course, 9-hole.

2002 - 2013 Godat took over
Renovations and extensions

In 2003, the construction of Residence II, with 21 luxury apartments begins and the Sunny Bar is redesigned and renovated. Furthermore, 26 rooms were remodelled in local Engadine style by 2005, and in 2009 the Kulm’s main kitchen was completely renovated. Furthermore, new windows and elevators were installed throughout the hotel. In 2012, the Kulm Spa was redesigned, renovated, and extended to 2'000 m2.

2013 - today New Era
The Hunkelers take over

Heinz E. Hunkeler, son of Heinz Hunkeler, and his wife Jenny took over the management of the Kulm Hotel. To this day, they initiated the new concept, turning the restaurant "Rotisserie des Chevaliers” into the gourmet restaurant the K, and in 2015 the renovation of the Neukulm wing with 26 rooms and suites in cooperation with star architect Pierre-Yves Rochon. They supported local horse sports events and art with the Pop-Up Kulm U-Boot Bar in 2014 and the "Trojan Horse" artwork 2016, 2017 and 2018.